Lindsay Takes on London

Monday, January 23, 2006

finally have internet!

yay, i finally have wireless in my room! i was definitely going through major denial! the following journal entries i wrote the past few days, but i'll just post them all at once. also check out my pictures at the link to the right!

DAY ONE

So I FINALLY got here to good old London! The trip was really really long and I know this is going to be the longest day ever but its been ok so far. I only slept for about an hour on the plane and arrived in London Heathrow Airport at 5:20am London time (midnight our time). Then I had to wait in the terminal till 7:30 when a few other students and I grouped together to wait for our driver. We didn’t end up leaving the airport until close till 9! Our ride was very bumpy to say the least- lets just say London is like driving in NYC but closer together cars, on the wrong side of the road and 10 times faster. Also we took a “van” because we only had 5 people with us….but fitting five peoples luggage for 4 months = pretty hard. Amazingly our bus driver was able to squeeze it all in, even if we ended up a little back heavy.

So then at about 10-10:30am we arrived at our dorm in the park. Its really pretty here, the grass is actually nice bright green! On our way here it was cool to see all the little houses and stuff, everything is built and looks so different! So we unloaded our luggage at the dorm, checked in and moved our stuff up to our rooms. The rooms are a lot a lot a lot better than I was expecting, I guess I was fearing the worst! We each have a desk and closet with shelves and also a big shelve above our closet that my suitcase fits into. Oh and we have one lounge-type of chair. And a big big mirror! So its definitely good. Our beds on the other hand…pretty uncomfortable from first sit and we only get one pillow and a dingy comforter. I am very glad I brought my fleece blanket now! I actually haven’t even checked out the bathrooms yet – I heard they are nice but small for the amount of people using them. Oh and also, this place is TINY. There is one main dorm that maybe 200 people live in, and then another small one with the cafeteria inside of it. The coolest part is that every building “on campus” is connected. They were all built side by side so you never even have to go outside to get to class. But there are only like 6 buildings including the dorms haha. It is cozy. The park from what I’ve seen so far is really nice and pretty, I can’t wait to explore it further.

DAY TWO

So after sleeping from 8pm until 8am, I finally felt pretty refreshed. Today we had orientation with the school, basically they just kept telling us the same thing over and over again. Then we had a “buffet” lunch but it was really crappy and just mystery meat sandwiches. But we did meet one girl from London that goes here and also one from England so that was good. Then I tried to get wireless on my laptop, you have to like register your computer and then wait for them to set it up so its taking forever but I’m hoping I get it by Saturday. At around 6 about 75 people went on a Jack the Ripper tour walk. It was really interesting, we walked all around the city where the murders happened (if you don’t know he was the world’s first serial killer) and our tour guide was really great and very colorful in describing things. The only down side was that we left at 5:45 and didn’t get back till 9:45! It was pretty cold too and lots of walking. Oh well I could use the exercise! Then I just showered, checked my email and talked to my parents. The bathrooms are actually really clean, but the showers are even tinier than RPI dorm showers. The shower curtain attacks you and tries to cling to you while you shower, and theres no where to put your stuff so it all gets wet. However,,,,,right across the hall from is a “Bathtub” room. I guess the English really like baths or maybe it is for handicapped people, even though there is no elevator. This is a GIANT bathtub / shower with a sink and nice mirror. There is even a ledge to put all your stuff on so it doesn’t get wet. Our RA told us that people sometimes use the bathtub room for “other purposes” so she never showers there, but the cleaning people clean it everyday and if I can take a nice non stressful shower then I am going too. Haha so I have been using that one and its a lot nicer.

DAY THREE

Today I woke up early and went for a walk around the park with a girl I met last night. The park is HUGE! We only walked around an itty bitty of it and it was sooo nice and soooooo pretty. It hasn’t rained yet, knock on wood, but has been really really sunny so far. Also the grass is so nice and green, I love it! I will be posting pictures ASAP so check the link to the right that says “Pictures” or something like that for pictures of my room, the park and the BEAUTIFUL flowers that my wonderful boyfriend sent me J. Today we are going on a double decker bus tour of the city which should be pretty fun, and then later I might go out.


CURRENT
So its Monday now, and my first class is at 3:30, I am actually excited for classes to start because I am interested in all my subjects that I am taking. This morning I woke up around 9 and walked around the park for an hour, I decided I'm going to do that everyday since its so nice out and the park is so pretty. I walked by the Zoo today, yes we have a zoo in our park haha, it seems pretty huge but i'm going to wait for my parents to visit before I go inside. Ok well I need to get ready for class, leave me love :-)

1 Comments:

  • LINDSAY!

    your pictures make your school look amazing, i mean its not as pretty as troy, and you know the park is no comparision to the pi phi lawn.... obv. i'm just kidding, i'm so jealous, and wish i would have gone through with that plan to visit over spring break. anyway i love you and i miss you, the 8 sherry isn't the same without you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 23, 11:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home